[EM] Responses to some of Forest's ideas

Richard Moore rmoore4 at home.com
Thu Jul 26 20:40:20 PDT 2001

Forest Simmons wrote:

> The East coast folks have an advantage because their results might
> discourage the West coast folks from even bothering to vote, for example.
>
> The West coast folks have an advantage because they have more information
> about the preferences of other voters.
>
> Which side of the country has a bigger advantage?

In Plurality, it depends on the situation. Replaying the
2000 presidential race, but without the EC nonsense, we can
see that a West Coast voter who prefers Nader might be more
likely to vote for Gore instead once he sees how close the
vote is across the rest of the nation. But if the race isn't
so tight, you might indeed see some voters (from all
parties) just give up.

In the former case, I'm not sure whether to give the
advantage to the voters on the West Coast, or to the
candidate (Gore in this case) who benefits from the
situation (and to his constituents, no matter where they are
geographically).

However, in Approval, I would say that voters on the West
Coast do have a definite advantage when it comes to finding
an optimum strategy, since they aren't simply trying to
decide whether or not to betray their favorite but rather
where to cut off their ballot.

Richard