[EM] Responses to some of Forest's ideas

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Thu Jul 26 13:01:33 PDT 2001

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Richard Moore wrote in part:

> Incidentally, I've long suspected there is (in general) no
> such thing as universally available "perfect information" in
> Approval voting. It might be possible for one or a few
> voters to have such perfect information, as for instance if
> the voting is done openly by role-call and Mr. Zzyzx gets to
> hear how everyone else voted before his turn comes.

This brings up the East to West time lag on election day. The exit polls
are going strong on the East coast before the West coast voters cast their
votes.

The East coast folks have an advantage because their results might
discourage the West coast folks from even bothering to vote, for example.

The West coast folks have an advantage because they have more information
about the preferences of other voters.

Which side of the country has a bigger advantage?

Forest