[EM] Responses to some of Forest's ideas

Richard Moore rmoore4 at home.com
Thu Jul 26 20:09:43 PDT 2001

Bart Ingles wrote:

> Suppose you have absolutely no polling data of any kind, but know enough
> about the candidates to place them on a policy continuum.  Should this
> still be considered a zero-info situation?

No, it shouldn't. However, in order to affect strategy,
there has to be a way to determine voting probabilities to
some degree of precision. If a candidate is on the
borderline (zero-info) then it wouldn't take much evidence
to sway a voter one way or the other, so the precision
doesn't have to be great in such cases. But if my utilities
are 100, 75, and 0 then I'd better be real sure of the
probabilities before I exclude the second candidate from my
ballot on that basis.

Also, putting the candidates on a policy continuum may work
in theory, but in practice there are other factors that this
ignores, such as political organization, financial
resources, and charisma.

Richard