[EM] Responses to some of Forest's ideas

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Thu Jul 26 12:05:54 PDT 2001

In this context I take "zero-info" to mean negligible information about
the preferences of other voters.  In practice this would be hard to
achieve because the same channels that give information about the
candidates tend to reveal information about voter preference (biased one
way or another).

Condorcet advocates should take heart because such information tends to
move the Approval winner closer to the Condorcet Winner (if there is one).

But I'm not so sure that the CW is always an improvement over the sincere
zero-info Approval winner, which as you note, may have greater claim to
the title "Consensus Candidate" than the CW does.

Forest