[EM] Responses to some of Forest's ideas

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Mon Jul 23 10:58:34 PDT 2001

In Craig's example below I agree that B is the best candidate in spite of
the fact that it is the IRV winner :-)

However, it seems to me that B is the most likely Approval winner, too,
even under near zero information conditions [see explanation below]
although to be a good sport I have to admit that I left myself wide open
by saying "reasonable strategy".

If I had required an air tight zero information strategy, only Richard
Moore could have responded :-)

In any case, this example is not exactly what I was looking for since B is
not the only pairwise unbeaten candidate; nobody beats C pairwise, either.

In fact, if the minor modification that Craig suggested at the end of his
faction) C becomes the only unbeaten candidate, though B is still the
obviously superior candidate, and most likely still the Approval winner.

So much for the superior stability of Condorcet.

Now here's why I think that B is the most likely zero information Approval
winner:

It seems to me that at least half of each of the two larger factions would
cut off their approval before A, because within each of those two factions
A is within human roundoff of the faction mean for utility, but below the
faction median.

Similarly, in the first faction B is not significantly below mean utility
but is above the median utility, so it is likely that at least one would
approve B.

Note also that if the approval votes for A were so modified the results
would be B(51) > A(50) = C(50) = D(50).

This shows the borderline nature of this example, hardly the definitive
example that I was hoping for.

Still, I have to admit that Craig's example came very close to satisfying
my stated conditions. Transferring one vote from the C faction to the B
faction would make B the CW, and given the leeway of "reasonable strategy"
Craig would have satisfied my stated challenge.

I think I should modify my challenge to ask for an example that has a
definite CW that is definitely better than a definite Approval winner.

Forest