[EM] average voting power and block votes

Richard Moore rmoore4 at home.com
Sat Jul 21 14:05:05 PDT 2001

When I posted on this topic a while ago, I was trying to argue that "voting
power" should not be calculated solely in terms of pivotal probabilities.

In the 3x3 committee voting blocks, if you are in block A and claim to be
casting the pivotal vote, couldn't the other voter who votes the same as you
make the same claim? Therefore, your voting power is shared with that voter.
Moreover, if your block claims to be pivotal, isn't there another block with
the same claim, with possibly two voters in that block claiming pivotal votes?

First, the voting power has to be shared by the two subcommittees, and then
it has to be shared within each subcommittee, so I think the power is
reduced by a factor of 4.

Also, if three voters in a subcommittee all agree, does that mean that each
voter gets a 1/3 share of the "pivotal" vote? This consideration adds back
some of the power that was reduced by sharing pivotal votes. The semantics
is getting strained here, since this is no longer a pivotal voting situation
where
one vote can change the outcome, but does voting power really disappear
when there's no single pivotal vote, or is it just distributed among the
voters?

I take the distributed view. Philosophically, I don't like the idea that your
vote counts only if it creates or breaks a tie or reverses the outcome. I'd
rather have a power of .0000001 every time I vote, than have a power of
0 except for once every 10 million times I vote.

Votes by the 3 subcommittees/power of each subcommittee:
AAA    1/3, 1/3, 1/3
AAB    1/2, 1/2, 0
ABA    1/2, 0, 1/2
ABB    0, 1/2, 1/2
BAA    0, 1/2, 1/2
BAB    1/2, 0, 1/2
BBA    1/2, 1/2, 0
BBB    1/3, 1/3, 1/3

Average power of each subcommittee:
( 1/3 + 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/3 ) / 8 = 1/3

Similarly each member of a subcommittee has an average power of
1/3 of the subcommittee's total power, or a power of 1/9.

Richard

PS -- Though I still haven't seen the Natapoff theorem, I speculate
that what he may have been on to is a similar analysis to Forest's,
but with unequal block sizes and with the smaller subcommittees
(or states) getting exaggerated voting power, as happens in the US
EC. Since the voters in the smaller blocks are more likely to be
pivotal within their blocks (as contrasted to pivotal in the overall
election), exaggerating the power of those blocks intensifies those
pivotal probabilities.