[EM] Proportional Representation via Approval Voting (fwd)

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Fri Jan 19 07:51:51 PST 2001

Bart, sorry to take so long in reply.

Let's do your first example with the two factions having relative sizes of
67% and 33% respectively.

The combinations of two and their respective scores are:

{A,B} 67%*(1 + 1/2) + 33%*(0) = 1.005
{C,D} 67%*(0) + 33%*(1 + 1/2) = 0.495

{A,C}, {A,D}, {B,C}, {B,D} all get scores of
                67%*1 + 33%*1 = 1.000

So in this case {A,B} barely wins.

If the percentages were 66% and 34% respectively, {A,B} would get
66%*(1 + 1/2) = .99 , and would barely lose to the four tied combinations
having scores of 1.00 .

The (1 + 1/2) factor is because of two layers.  If a combination had three
layers of representation for a voter or faction of voters, the multiplying
factor would be (1 + 1/2 + 1/3).