Proportional Representation via Approval Voting (fwd)

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Thu Jan 18 21:27:04 PST 2001

Mr. Ingles wrote in part--

I have serious doubts about the proxy system.

D- Votes per seat is almost never the same in legislative body elections.
Close elections may happen (as in the now infamous 2000 Florida President
election). EVERY vote counts in legislative body elections.  A *democratic*
legislative body is supposed to represent ALL of the People (Voters) (i.e. is
a substitute for a meeting in person of ALL such Voters).

Would the variable votes carry over into committee assignments?

D- Yes, why not ???  Absent members would give their proxies to committee
members such that ALL members are directly or indirectly on ALL committees.

Would an individual's larger or smaller voting power affect the chances of
even getting a committee assignment?

D- A member has physical limits- cannot physically be on too many committees.
 See prior answer and next answer.

Should an representative's time on the floor be in proportion to voting
power, etc.?

D- The legislative body rules will be made by majorities that also put limits
on themselves.  The lesser voting powers among the majority may not want to
limit things like speech times (on themselves)-  noting that ALL larger
bodies put major limits on speeches.

How about fundraising limits and operating budgets?

D-  See preceding answer.  TV has all sorts of game shows with variable
results.  The legislators can each push a button to cast his/her variable
proxy vote (noting that many  larger legislative bodies (e.g. U.S. House of
Representatives) now vote electronically to speed up things).

It all sounds like a big mess to me.  Much better to
minimize inequity before the candidates are elected.  I think the quest
for proportionality can be taken to excess anyway -- it should be
balanced with other things, such as utility & practicality, etc.