[EM] Cloneproof SSD

Markus Schulze schulze at sol.physik.tu-berlin.de
Wed Jan 17 10:03:16 PST 2001

Dear Mike,

you wrote (17 Jan 2001):
> If we have a set of candidates none of whom are beaten by anyone
> outside the set, then those candidates are obviously more qualified
> to win. Condorcet suggested his procedure because the propositions
> (pairwise defeats) cannot all exist together. The ones that cannot
> all exist together are the ones among the current Schwartz set.
> The defeats by Schwartz set candidates against non-Schwartz-set
> candidates are not contradicted by any other defeats. The only
> defeats that are contradicted, for the purpose of choosing a winner,
> are those among the current Schwartz set. The people are saying
> that the Schwartz set candidates are the ones that aren't bested by
> anyone. So it's intuitively natural & obvious to only drop defeats
> from among the current Schwartz set.

I don't consider the Schwartz criterion to be "intuitive" and
"obvious."

The main justification of the Smith criterion is the fact that
an additional candidate can change the Smith set only if he is a
Smith winner. But it is possible that an additional candidate can
change the Schwartz set without being a Schwartz winner.

Example: