[EM] Borda strategy

Richard Moore rmoore4 at home.com
Fri Feb 23 23:44:32 PST 2001

Mike,

By strategy matrix, I mean the matrix that would be multiplied by
the voter utilities to get what you call the strategic values. Asking
what the matrix looks like is not the same as asking what the
strategy should be. Even though you don't need a strategy (other
than sincere ranking) for Condorcet, that matrix exists (for
practical purposes, I believe it's the identity matrix). So it was a
bit of a rhetorical question where Condorcet is concerned.

For Borda, and for that matter, for cumulative voting, I think there
are some interesting things to be learned from looking at the strategy
matrix. Not things to be learned about strategy, but things to be
learned about the methods themselves. This may even point to ways
to improve those methods. Probably, others have already picked up
on this, and I'm just being redundant.

I suspect there is a mathematical way to calculate an IRV strategy
matrix, at least in principal. It would probably fill several pages,
though. I also suspect that, for some regions of probability, the
values in that matrix will have some ugly characteristics. Actually,
I don't suspect it, I know it, but a mathematical proof of IRV's
badness wouldn't be a bad thing to be able to point to. Would
such a proof be possible? I don't know.

 -- Richard