[EM] draws in IRV

David Catchpole s349436 at student.uq.edu.au
Sun Feb 18 22:04:56 PST 2001

Well, it stands to reason that you should be able to eliminate as many low
ranking candidates as you can given that the aggregate of their vote
doesn't exceed that of the candidate with the next lowest number of votes.
So, in an election with first preferences...

35
34
15
10
3
3

C,D,E and F could all be eliminated in the first round without any change
in the result from a strict elimination. Have to say, I haven't come
across any 90% rule, though in Queensland, booth officers conduct a
"notional two-party-preferred" tally, where preferences between the two
notional leaders in a seat are counted. This is usually a useful
indication to candidates, the media and the central office that conducts
the final tally, though occasionally an upset occurs when an Independent
becomes a major contender.

If I can find the Queensland rules at a spare moment, I'll send them over.

By the way, my party (Labor) won about 65 seats in the (I think...)
89-member Assembly (we don't have an upper house). I was a bit delicate on
Sunday!

People might find the results interesting in analysis of IRV, particularly
the results from the west of the state, where a large number of sitting
Nationals (rural conservatives) have been replaced by Independents.