[EM] draws in IRV

LAYTON Craig Craig.LAYTON at add.nsw.gov.au
Sun Feb 18 15:22:42 PST 2001

>There is usually random selection in the first or last round (I recall a
coin toss being used in >one election).  However, there is a little known
rule of mass elimination in Australia, that >eliminates all candidates
except the top two in the first round if they poll a certain >percentage of
the valid vote (I think it is 90 per cent).  This is intended to save
counting >time, as single winner IRV elections are still cast and counted
manually (the old fashioned way, >writing numbers in boxes).

Very stupid.  Not only does mass elimination not change the count rule, it
isn't even the one we use.  It's actually if the total first preference
votes for all the candidates other than the first and second candidate are
less than the total of first preference votes for the second candidate, then
they're all excluded.

Interestingly, according to the Act, if the top two candidates are tied, you
declare that the election "cannot be decided".  I have no idea what happens
then.