[EM] Approval Voting vs Instant Runoff Voting

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 15 18:16:24 PST 2001

Craig wrote:

>Mike wrote:
>
> >In Approval, people will vote only for their favorite if they think
> >they don't need their 2nd choice, because their favorite has a win.
> >Actually many who now voted only for Nader, because that was the only
> >way to express support for him, would vote for Nader & Gore in Approval.
> >So fewer, not more, people would vote only for their favorite.
>
>Hold on.  You only recently finished telling us that Nader could win, if
>only you had a different electoral system.  So, which is it?

It's both. Some others disagree with me on this, but it's difficult
to find someone who voted for Gore, and who believes that Gore is as
good as Nader. That suggests to me that Nader is favorite to more
people than Gore is. If correct, this is masked by Plurality, but it
would be shown by an Approval votecount. But I didn't say that Nader
would have won in November in Approval. If Nader is favorite to more
than Gore is, then Nader would outpoll Bush if Gore outpolls Bush. Then
Nader should win in a subsequent election.

That doesn't contradict my statement that some who voted only for
Nader did so because it was the only way to show support for him.
I'm talking about people who (mistakenly?) believe that they need Gore
to beat Bush. Some of them refused to vote for Gore so they could
show support for Nader. Some of those would vote for both in Approval,
since they can show Nader support while helping Gore.

More later (maybe tomorrow),
Mike Ossipoff