[EM] Approval Voting vs Instant Runoff Voting:

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Fri Feb 9 22:23:26 PST 2001

Catchybacca wrote:

> Rolling would be Approval - an arbitrary system which is only effective
> (like every other election method) given perfect information. Its only

Are you saying that all methods are only effective given perfect
information?

I guess it depends what you mean by "effective".  In random voter
simulations, it seems to do pretty well in terms of social utility.
Certainly better than Irving.

> advantage, that it involves no real insincerity, is a false one, because
> it can only make that claim because Approval has no intuitive "sincere"
> vote. Approval sucks. It does nothing to empower ordinary voters to ensure
> their vote counts.

No intuitive sincere vote?  Vote for everyone you like; don't vote for
anyone you don't like.  The only time polling data really means anything
is when you're on the fence about a particular candidate, in which case
it's useful but not really necessary.

As far as I can tell, Approval's intuitive strategy matches its
mathematical strategy better than any other method I've seen.

Bart Vader