[EM] Approval Voting vs Instant Runoff Voting:

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Wed Feb 7 14:27:11 PST 2001

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Donald Davison wrote:

> Dear Forest Simmons,
>
>      On the 26th of January, you sent a letter to me and to the
> instantrunoff list. I made a reply, but I was waiting for the list to
> publish your letter before I sent in my reply. I like to have a gallery.

Forest: Since you like a gallery, I assume that you won't mind if I
include the EM list in my reply.

>       Looks like they are not going to publish your letter, so, being as
> you are on this list, I am posting my reply here.
>
> Regards, Donald,

Forest: I have never seen a shred of evidence of any type that IRV somehow
treats the voters and candidates with "more equality."  What objective
criterion of equality are you referring to?

> >For example, suppose that there are three significant contenders for
> >the the presidency A, B, and C.  The majority of the voters like C,
> >but they're afraid to vote for her because the corporate media have
> >played up the corporate candidates so heavily that nobody is sure if
> >she really has a chance.  To be safe, they vote mostly for A and B.
> >One of these wins, and the other thinks of C as a spoiler.
>
> Don: This example does not compute.  You say; `The majority of the voters
> like C', if so, then that fact would have been reflected in the polls
> before the election, and candidate C would have at least been the leading
> candidate, if not the majority candidate, in the tally of the election
> votes. I think you are in error, candidate C would win this Plurality
> election.

Forest: Apparently you are unwilling to consider my example, so you modify
the hypothesis, and naturally come out with a different conclusion.  The
technical term for that kind of logic is called "begging the question."

When we say "If A, then B," we don't have to prove A.  If A can never
happen then the implication is true vacuously.

If you think that it is impossible for the corporate media to scare people
into voting for their second choice, then this example is of purely
academic interest to you.

But if you decide to reverse that hypothesis, please don't pretend you are
talking about the same example.

By the way, a very good case can be made that the corporate media actually
do have the power to convince people that the corporate candidates are the
only viable ones.

I won't try to give such an argument, but I will share an interesting
tidbit in this connection. The Time Magazine website had an unofficial
poll in the last couple of months leading up to the November election.
With hundreds of thousands of unofficial preferences tallied, Ralph Nader
had sixty percent of the total. Of course there was a disclaimer about the
validity of the poll.

Was this result reported in Time Magazine, on the main page of the
website, or elsewhere? No. Might it have been if the results came out more
to the liking of the big guys?

One can dismiss this by saying that people that go to the Time Magazine
website are atypical, or that some hacker figured out a way to mess up the
poll. Probably one of those, but I have my doubts.

Along these lines an argument can be made that the corporate pollsters
have a vested interest in the corporate status quo, as well.

In view of the extreme means used to keep Nader from attending the
debates, let alone participate in them, it doesn't stretch the imagination
too far to think that in some future election when there is even more
grass roots support for a non-corporate candidate, the big guys might pull
out all the stops.

> Don: You are in error again, for the same reason as above. I suspect what
> you are doing is setting the stage for some agenda.

If by "agenda" you mean that I am trying to make a point, you are correct.
Why else would anyone give an instructive example?

>     The first choices are the voter's favored choices. The lower choices
> are the reverse, they are the voter's disfavored choices. The lower choices
> are the leftover choices and they favor the lowest candidates. This is not
> rocket science,...

Forest: Are you truly unaware that IRV can elect candidates from the
bottom of the heap?

My response to your original letter was intended to encourage your public
spirit and good public relations ideas, as well as to make you aware of
some of the alternatives to IRV that you may have been overlooking.

>From your reply, I suspect that my good faith was ill founded.  Having (as
you say) already explored the alternatives to your satisfaction and
wholeheartedly embraced the IRV bandwagon, you are more interested in
showing off your rhetorical prowess to the peanut gallery than in
continuing a good faith dialogue, or so it would seem.

Unless I am grossly mistaken on this score (in which case a thousand
apologies) I see little point in squandering more time on such polemics.

In any case, you will have to come up with a much higher quality of
polemic to impress me or even hold my interest.

Peace,

Forest