Borda Count

Jurij Toplak jure.toplak at uni-mb.si
Wed Feb 7 14:12:07 PST 2001

> If you don't mind me asking another question; Do the Italian or Hungarian
> reps tend to be linked to any of the major parties, or are they mostly
> independents?

Yes, unfortunatelly they are both strongly linked to same (left wing - ex
communist) option and in small, 90 member parliament that is quite a power.
Italian rep was even a high official of ex-communist party. For example,
after 96' elections, a majority of people voted for "new" parties - they
received 45 out of 88 seats. However, minority reps prevented them to form a
government since they produced a 45-45 tie. There has been a lot of
discussion on this since they were meant just to represent minorities - that
is why minority voters have two votes - one for minority rep and one for
regular reps.Maybe it is not important, but since the formation of our
parliament (1992) there have always been the same minority reps - they
usually do not have any opposing candidates when running for office.

Jurij