[EM] Posting #2: intro, a plea, LWV, organizing v. IRV, terms & taxonomy

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Fri Feb 2 00:55:09 PST 2001

Just trying to catch up on my inbox -- this is a very old post which was
apparently addressed to me, at least in part, and I apologize for not
replying sooner.  Apparently this message looked as though it would take
more study than I was capable of devoting at the time, so it stayed in
the pile while I dealt with simpler issues.

ITEM 3:  (LWV), I'm not sure what to recommend. If you haven't become
involved by already, it's probably not worth joining at this point.  The
results of the so-called study are most certainly predetermined.  I'm
just hoping to at least reach a few people in the process.

ITEM 4:  Despite the above, I'm not really interested in organizing
against IRV or CVD.  I am more pro- approval voting, and nearly neutral
regarding proportional representation.  The only anti-IRV statements I
am interested in making are those incidental to side-by-side comparisons
with approval voting, or when responding to deliberate or unintended
misinformation by pro-IRV advocates (such as claims that IRV eliminates
the lesser-evil problem, etc.)

I'm not sure what to think of a non-aligned web site and organization
name, vs. one obviously designed to promote approval voting (or some
other method).  I suppose the non-aligned name & site are clearly better
if one isn't completely in favor of a particular method.  But after
2-1/2 years of study, I've pretty well made up my mind on the subject,
and would not really be interested in debating methods on a promotional
site -- that's what this list is for.  Besides, even if discrediting IRV
were the primary objective, what would be a better way to do so than to
rally behind a viable alternative?

In this regard, I don't really have too much of a problem with CVD
keeping debate about alternate voting systems out of its promotional
arenas (although I strongly object to using a supposedly neutral
organization as the LWV as such an arena).  Of course if CVD were
renamed C-IRV, they wouldn't have to worry about people trying to get
them to consider other systems.

ITEM 5:  I agree that there are better terms than 'plurality' to
describe the vote-for-one (or lone-mark) system.  Even worse are the
list of non-descript terms used in place of IRV/STV, such as
"alternative vote", "preferential voting", "choice voting", et al.  For
all I know these terms were adopted as a way to use up the available
acronyms & confuse the public (Alternative Vote to confuse IRV with
Approval Voting, Choice Voting to confuse STV with cumulative voting,
etc.)

Approval voting, cumulative voting, and instant runoff are pretty
widely-known terms, though, so I can't see re-inventing those.

Bart