Borda Count

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 2 03:19:16 PST 2001

Craig wrote:

There's no reason we couldn't do something like that here, depending on how
many subscribers we currently have (we could suppliment results using people
we know that aren't on the mailing list).  Neutral things that everyone has
an opinion/preference on like favourite colour are best, because there isn't
much need to vote insincerely.

I reply:

I agree that polls can be extremely useful in demonstrating voting
systems. Of course we have a natural thing to vote on: Voting systems.
I realize that there could be temptation to vote strategically, but
doesn't that make it more realistic?

We took one such poll on EM. That was before we knew about BeatpathWinner or
SSD or Tideman. The winner was Smith//PC. The 2nd finisher
was PC. That was true no matter which of the proposed count rules
we used for our rankings. I think we had 7 voters. I tried a subsequent
poll, after some new methods had been proposed & discussed, but there
were only 3 voters, including me. I don't know why, but it's difficult to
get people to participate in a poll.

Mike Ossipoff