Borda Count

LAYTON Craig Craig.LAYTON at add.nsw.gov.au
Thu Feb 1 20:38:29 PST 2001

Yes, it is a tricky issue, and one that I've been thinking a bit about
recently.  Forest's example only really works if you assume sincere voting
(as do any arguments in favour of ratings systems).

I can say that I have rarely met someone who claims to have voted
strategically in an (Australian) election.  When I was much younger, I did
hear people saying that they wouldn't vote for a minor party because it was
a "wasted vote", but I haven't heard anyone talk like that for five or ten
years.  The only public aknowledgement of strategy is in the party's
how-to-vote cards.  I would say that the vast majority of voters (at least
90 or 95%) follow a how-to-vote card or vote sincerely.  Of course, there
isn't any way to tell for sure, but everyone I talk to about how they vote
says that they put a number one next to their favourite etc. etc.

Certainly, strategy does effect how some voting systems work in practice,
and you could hold a poll before-hand to give the voters some information to
strategise upon.  However, I think that doing that amoung a group of voting
theorists/mathmaticians etc would produce an enormous sampling error (ie
severe overuse of strategy compared to the general populace).