[EM] Fixing IRV

Anthony Simmons bbadonov at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 15 23:20:39 PDT 2001

>> From: Richard Moore <rmoore4 at home.com>
>> Subject: Re: [EM] Fixing IRV

Richard,

Everything you say is valid.  I don't know what I was
thinking.  Well, actually, I do.  I was reacting the way I
always do when people suggest that a problem is unsolvable
because of incompleteness.  Odd, given Gregory Chaitin's
discovery that "most" problems are unsolvable.

About defining an elimination method, doesn't that sound like
kind of a hopeless task?  It's pretty simple to define one in
terms of the definition, such as it is, that I mentioned
earlier.  One simply constructs a sequence of election
methods, En, En-1, ... E1 (please excuse the clumsy
subscripts).  The first has n candidates, the second has n-1,
etc., etc.  They all have the same number of ballots (same
meaning that you remove one candidate from ballots and close
up the holes to get the next in the sequence).  I don't have
a clue how that could be expressed in a form that would suit
your purposes.  And it suffers from the same difficulty in
actually working with it that you note below.  (Actually,
only the first and last elements in the sequence are needed
in order to define "elimination method".)