[EM] Demorep's new method

Anthony Simmons bbadonov at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 15 23:20:42 PDT 2001

>> From: Rob LeGrand <honky1998 at yahoo.com>
>> Subject: Re: [EM] Demorep's new method

I don't think going to a nondeterministic method will
eliminate whatever strategy might persist in the
deterministic version.  It just becomes a matter of
probabilities.  And I do find something off-putting about
involving dice in the vote counting.

What I would expect is that whatever strategies applied to
the individual component methods would be diluted by the
combination.  You know, like the usual on-the-order-of-the-
square-root-of-N rule, where things average out enough so the
variation in the combination is smaller than the variations
in the individual components.  What I was thinking is that
that could be bested by deliberately choosing methods that
have conflicting strategies.

Seems like proving any kind of properties would be more
difficult.  Well, not all.  If all methods were to put the
Smith set at the top of the lists, then the total Borda
scores should put them at the top of the composite.  (Since
for every candidate in the Smith set, each score is higher
than for every nonmember, totals should also be higher.  Same
for CW.)