[EM] Alternative counting method for RP

Roy One royone at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 10 08:58:23 PDT 2001

This is fairly preliminary, but interesting.

It occurred to me that the table constructed for RP is, effectively,
a Borda count. Obviously, Borda and RP are not the same, and the
example on
http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/harrow/124/path/intro.html
yields a different ranking if interpreted as a Borda count, rather
than for RP.

But it also occurred to me that RP's method of resolving Smith sets
was to evaluate the losers first. That may or may not equate to a
form of elimination, but the thought appealed to me, so I gave it a
shot on the data there.

Method: Compute the sum of each row. Eliminate the row and column
corresponding to the lowest sum, repeat with remaining figures.

Result: same as RP: E was eliminated, then D, then C, then B, leaving
A. (i.e., ranking is A>B>C>D>E)

This could fairly be called RP-E, I think, and it doesn't determine a
winner before eliminating anyone.