[EM] Unranked-IRV, Cumulative, and Normalized Ratings

Martin Harper mcnh2 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Apr 21 08:35:56 PDT 2001

It seems pretty clear that at some point you have to make a trade-off
between electing the candidate with the highest SU, and ensuring that
your method has low strategy. However, its unclear at what point you
have to start making a trade off - it is conceivable that there are
methods out there with less strategy which elect higher SU candidates -
and Cranor's may be one of them.

It'd be interesting to speculate on where exactly the limit is. I wonder
if it would be possible to formulate some kind of equation linking
quantity of strategy with percentage SU achieved with sincere votes - or
better yet to find the maximum achievable SU with actual votes (IE,
taking strategy into account). Beyond my powers, though.

The other question is how we choose in which direction to miss the
maximum SU on sincere votes, and so ensure that our method is
strategy-free. Is it better to be a little below on many, or much below
but only in rare cases? Is it better to elect a non-optimal extremist or
a non-optimal narrow centrist? Etc...

Election methods does seem to be the study of what is impossible
sometimes, with Arrow's Theorem, this thing, and the
strategy/determinism dilemma.