[EM] Unranked-IRV, Cumulative, and Normalized Ratings

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Thu Apr 19 18:12:05 PDT 2001

This is more of a query about Lori Cranor's method than anything else.

If it really gives no strategic incentive for distorting ratings, it
sounds like the ideal way to use CR ballots.

Here's what puzzles me. On the one hand, it seems like any method like Ms
Cranor's that uses CR ballots to formulate optimal Approval Strategies
should be able to do so in a way that would give the win to the candidate
with the greatest average rating.

If that is the case, then it seems like any strategy that would improve
the average rating of your favorite on the CR ballot would be tempting. In
other words, one would be tempted to distort ratings.

On the other hand, if the method doesn't give the win to a maximally rated
candidate, then it probably isn't much better than plain old Approval in
social utility.

Can you shed any light on this?

Forest