Mixed Condorcet-Plurality

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Tue Apr 10 11:21:03 PDT 2001

Mr. Ruen wrote in part-

That's why I would consider a plurality winner as the "fair" choice among

the top set of mutually defeatable candidates. Among that set no elimination

(candidates or defeats) is clearly fair and so it makes some sense to

retreat to plurality as the best choice. Well, this is perhaps the only good

use for plurality that I know!
----
D- My standard example-

34 ABC
33 BCA
32 CAB
99

Who has *majority* support ???

For newer folks I suggest a YES/NO vote on each choice.
If 2 or more YES majorities, then they go head to head.
If still a tie, then the highest YES majority wins---

i.e. YES majority /head to head (Condorcet)/ highest YES (Approval) (or
possibly sum the YES votes by place vote positions to get the earliest
majority).

Plurality should have gone to the political history junkyard long ago (to
rest in peace with divine right of kings).