[EM] Now don't get mad, Catchy.

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 12 19:03:36 PDT 2000

Catchpole said:

>For feck's sake people, can we stop bagging voting theorists who get paid

Did anyone criticize them for getting paid? Or do you mean
that the fact that they get paid puts them above criticism? :-)

>for what they do, and start reading their work?

Ok, so you believe that I criticise them without having started
to read their work. You're being real silly, Catchy.

What about them had you thought that I was criticizing? I've
read enough of their work to say that, for the most part, they
live in a world of their own and don't care about the concerns
or interest of actual voters. But I'm not criticizing them for
that. It's none of my business what someone else is interested in.
If they stay in their ivory tower and don't interfere with
reform efforts, who could complain?

I didn't offend you, did I, when I said that most academics seem
to have their head up their ass? It's true, you know.

>They may be part of the
>dreaded orthodoxy

Thank you for asserting that there's an academic voting system
orthodoxy. But did anyone say they dreaded it? I merely indicated
that I don't respect it or value it.

>, but their ideas have more validity than the bullshit we
>usually chug out

Catchy, that sounds like an expression of pure loyalty.
"My daddy can beat up your daddy!"

>and this is indicated by their recognition by academic
>circles.

No doubt Nazis are recognized in Nazi circles, and Flat-Earthers
are recognized in Flat-Earther circles, and UFO abductees are
recognized in UFO abductee circles. Oh you've made a convincing
point there.

>As someone whose desire is to join their ranks sometime over the
>next 20 years

Catchy, I'd say you're well on the way.

, I feel that they're not getting a fair run from this
>list. Take things on their merits. Not on prejudices. If you're going to
>bag someone, read their work

As I said, believe it or not, everything I've said about academics
is based on their "work".

Prejudice? Like defending dogma on princple?

Mike Ossipoff