[EM] Borda Count to the median

Michael A. Rouse mrouse at cdsnet.net
Thu Oct 26 07:40:26 PDT 2000

This is my first post, and I haven't had a chance yet to go through
the archive to see if this method has been covered, so if it has
obvious flaws forgive me :)

Given that a Borda Count is relatively consistant and
generally "fair" (if a bit prone to wacky behavior when people either love
or hate the candidate), yet a voter can "cheat" by rating his favorite's
chief opponent artificially low, how about the following modification:

Conduct a standard election with BC-style rank ballots. Starting with
each candidate's highest-ranked ballots, count out a number equal to
the smallest absolute majority of total votes cast. If 1000 (or 1001)
votes were cast, you would take the 501 highest-rated votes for the
candidate. Use these votes in a Borda Count. The candidate with the
highest total is the winner.

It's almost a cross between BC and Approval, and cutting it in the
middle assumes both sides of an election curve are symmetric. There
are of course possible paradox conditions (it doesn't always pick
Condorcet winner where one candidate is loved and despised by large
numbers of voters), but I think it would cut down on the influence of
artificially-low votes given to principal opponents.

If you have any insights or know of a fatal flaw in this method, just
let me know. Thanks!

Michael Rouse
mrouse at internetcds.com