[EM] Discover Magazine article

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Thu Oct 19 23:14:08 PDT 2000

Rob Lanphier wrote:

> This is a great article.  I don't entirely agree on the conclusion (Donald
> Saari's work on Borda again comes out pretty favorably), but the fact that
> the reporter also talked to Brams makes it a much more balanced article
> than the piece in the Economist a few months back.  There's also some
> really interesting discussion of using voting methods in character
> recognition, plotting space probe trajectories, and other computer
> applications.

My thought while reading it was, "Gee, I'm glad to see someone found a
legitimate use for Borda!"

There's apparently a panel missing from the online article, which
appears in the hard version.  Something about an attempt at an online
election at some mathematician's web site, asking respondents to rank
their choice of election systems among FPP, Runoff, Borda, and
Approval.  I hear the results were inconclusive, with only seven
respondents.