CVD wants Alt.V to be fairer but it isn't: misleading website

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 6 18:40:31 PDT 2000

>What I don't understand is why you didn't run a better candidate,
>to run against Hitler, Stalin, Mao & Sadaam?
>
>If those are the candidates, then of course one of them should win.
>Hopefully the best one. But it's important that people not be cowed
>into dumping the one they consider best in order to beat the one they
>consider worst.
>--
>D- Perhaps Washington type candidates are killed by the tyrant types or
>happen to die or are disqualified after the ballots are printed.

If that's how things are, then we don't have a political environment
in which a good voting system can help--if you're saying the good
candidates all get killed. As for saying they just happen to all die
spontaneously between the nominations & the balloting, or somehow
get disqualifed, then, better candidates could register as write-ins
before the election. Or there could be an emergency provision saying
that voters could write someone in without that candidate having
registered. So you just handwrite "Washington" at the bottom of the
column of names.

>If the just- say- NO option is not available, then the People get one of
>tyrants (using the *relative* evil number votes).  NO thanks.

What do you think they'll get if they create a power vacuum by
not electing anyone. Maybe the ballot candidates are undesirable, but
not as bad as Hitler. But who knows what we'll get when we elect no
one, and even more undesirable people fight for power in that vacuum.

We've suggested that "new election" be one of the alternatives in
the election, along with the candidates. That should alleviate your
concerns. Someone has suggested that, in a rank-balloting, anyone who
is pairbeaten* by "new election" should be disqualified. I don't know
whether or not that would be a good idea, but it's a possibility.

*or maybe majority-pair-beaten

Mike Ossipoff