FW: [EM] Clarifying Approval vs Condorcet

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 6 15:50:08 PDT 2000

Craig Layton wrote:

As a last resort (and I mean a really last resort - excuse the grammar),
where IRV is about to take hold, you could try proposing to whack Condorcet
on the front (ie, find a Condorcet winner.  Where there is none, do an IRV
count).  Not ideal, but hey, even the IRVies might agree to that one.

I reply:

Maybe, but they've never accepted any of the mitigation compromises
that have been offered to them. In fact, I tried that one on them
soon after the formation of CVD. We even offered them this:

IRV, except that a voter may divide his vote among several candidates
by voting more than one candidate at a rank position (this could but
needn't be limited to 1st place position). You have one vote, as in
ordinary IRV, but you can divide it in that way.

I offered that to Steve Chessin, in Santa Clara County, California,
where he's proposing IRV for county elections, but Chessin
was unwilling to tell the board of supervisors there that the equal
ranking option is a necessary part of his proposal. In other words,
he was unwilling to make equal ranking a necessary part of his proposal.
He said he wouldn't oppose it if the supervisors wanted it, and that
he'd mention it as a possibility. But if he won't stipulate it, it
isn't part of his proposal. So even that tiny & modest mitigation
of IRV was refused. That's typical with IRVies, who seem determined
to impose the worst of their method's faults on the public.

I should add that the mitigation described in the previous 2 paragraphs
meets WDSC  (aka NDDC). WDSC is my minimum requirement for a voting
system. Of course Approval & Condorcet additionally meet other criteria.

Information about voting systems & criteria can be found at:

http://www.electionmethods.org

http://www.barnsdle.demon.co.uk/vote/sing.html

(Note that the name "barnsdale" is spelled "barnsdle", without its
2nd "a". The URL must have been chosen when only 8 characters were
available).

Mike Ossipoff