Methods of elimination in quota preferential STV

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 5 18:34:25 PDT 2000

Craig Layton wrote:

While it is unarguably crucial to discuss the ideal single winner method
(both simply in terms of the logic of majoritarian decision making on
specific issues and in cases eg presidential elections, where only one
winner is possible), are you all sure that you should be advocating any of
these systems for the election of a legislature?

Perhaps in terms of political expediency, yes (but some aren't so concerned
with political expediency).

I reply:

But practicality can't be ignored. Americans are terribly suspicious
about their representatives (as they should be), and any proposed
change in the concept of representation will be very much suspected
of worsening he situation. For instance we hear that PR would
help the "special interests" take over, whoever they are. People, then,
are spontaneously fearful about any change in the concept of represent-
ation. That fear is of course enhanced by what they're told by the
people who tell them things and to whom they listen. For instance,
Didn't Clinton say or imply that PR is "antidemocratic", and wastn't
that a reason for his withdrawal of her appointment to the cabinet?

So, it sure seems to me that PR won't happen in the U.S. So it's
much better to try for what _is_ possible: A better way of doing
the single-winner elections that we already do.

Actually, I believe that Americans, with their suspiciion of
"the politicians" would accept direct democracy (DD) long before they'd
accept PR. After we get better single-winner elections, we should
try to get DD. People might accept that, where they would never accept
PR.

Now, this is off the subject, but I'd like to add another possible
part of the solution: Partition. Why should all these people of widely
divergent and mutually hostile beliefs and agendas have to all draw
the same national boundary around all of them, so that they can fight
about which of their factions should govern? It makes no sense, does
it. So partition the country according to what governements the various
people want. Of course within each new nation thereby created,
I'd still advocate DD & better single-winner methods (In DD, of course,
the better single-winner methods would be used mainly for choosing
among alternatives, rather than candidates).

Mike Ossipoff