Methods of elimination in quota preferential STV

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Wed Oct 4 22:19:39 PDT 2000

I haven't had time to think about multi-winner methods much, but I have
been leaning toward a modified cumulative voting method with
elimination.  I'm pretty sure the following method has been shown to
violate monotonicity & participation (see below), but I suspect the
violations may be less severe than STV's.

Voters simply vote for multiple candidates, as they would with approval
voting, except that each choice gets an equal fraction of the vote (e.g.
if you vote for five candidates, each gets 1/5 of your vote).  You then
eliminate the weakest candidate and recount, so that the remaining
candidates get a larger share (if one candidate was eliminated from your
ballot, the remaining candidates now each get 1/4 of a vote).  Continue
eliminating candidates in the same fashion until the required number
remain.

No quotas are necessary since each voter always has the same cumulative
vote.  The fact that voters must weigh compromise choices rather than
simply rank them should yield higher overall utilities, and the method
is certainly simpler than STV.

I have the following references regarding the method (I haven't seen
them):

Bolger, E. M. (1983), "Proportional representation" in: S. J. Brams, W.
F. Lucas and P. D. Straffin, Jr., eds., Modules in Applied Mathematics,
Vol. 2 (Springer-Verlag, New York) 19-31.

Bolger, E. M. (1985), "Monotonicity and other paradoxes in some
proportional representation schemes," SIAM Journal on Algebraic and
Discrete Methods 6: 283-291.

-Bart