[EM] Methods of elimination in quota preferential STV

David Catchpole s349436 at student.uq.edu.au
Wed Oct 4 19:41:25 PDT 2000

But aren't all those alternatives also exclusion schema? The exclusion
scheme I suggested was that, rather than excluding on the basis of first
preference aggregates, when an exclusion has to be made, one does it by
"electing" the nC-1 candidates who will not be excluded. For instance,
with 1 to be elected and 4 candidates, and first preferences

10	20	26	44
A	B	C	D

one would "elect" 3 non-excluded candidates. The quota is 100/4 = 25

so C and D are "elected." C and D's votes are then redistributed. Say C
voters usually favour B and D voters usually favour A.

10	20	1		16		3
A	B	(Ex. C) B	(ex. D) A	(ex. D) B

So rather than A being elected, B is elected!

Craig Carey criticised this exclusion scheme because it was
"untested." That's bullshit. Applied to an "anti-STV" example he's been
peddling around recently, it reduces the strategic weirdness that can be
caused by simple plurality exclusion.