[EM] Methods of elimination in quota preferential STV

LAYTON Craig Craig.LAYTON at add.nsw.gov.au
Wed Oct 4 18:47:09 PDT 2000

Yes, I am.  The exclusion of those with the least votes (transfered or
original 1st preferences) would seem to have the same problems as IRV, with
the possibility that it could fail fundamental tests like eliminating a
Condorcet winner (obviously this is much less likely than in IRV),
monotonicity &c.  Some alternatives would be to rank the votes using Borda
or Kemeny-Young &c. at the start, and progressively eliminate the lowest
ranked (courtesy of Markus Schulze) or eliminating the bottom candidates
using a quota, and redistribute their votes at a reduced transfer value (if
I understand Craig Carey correctly).

Craig