[EM] RE: Let's found an organization to oppose IRV

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 13 21:33:37 PST 2000

David Catchpole wrote:

>I've recently been confronted with a few approval type elections
>(Australian Republican Movement) and each time I've chosen to mark half of
>the ballot.

Yes, that's the utility-expectation-maximizing strategy when your
vote is based on your ranking of the candidates.

But it would be better to vote for all of the candidates who are
above the mean. You could estimate that directly, or could actually
assign cardinal ratings to them all, and vote for the above-mean
candidates.

I'm assuming that this is a 0-info election.

Otherwise, vote for the candidate whom you'd vote for in Plurality,
and for everyone whom you like more. Or use the mathematical
strategy described at:

http://www.barnsdle.demon.co.uk/vote/sing.html

Mike Ossipoff