[EM] Approval Vote: 99% isn't enough

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sun May 28 15:52:30 PDT 2000

Demorep wrote:

>research at ijs.co.nz asked me to forward yet another Approval example.
>Respond
>to him and not me.

But I hope you don't mind if I reply to the list, because that's
where you sent Craig's letter.

>-------------
>research at ijs.co.nz----
>
>Here is an improved example:
>

>   99   ABCDEFGHIJ
>    1   J

So those are the sincere rankings of those 99 voters, and that 1
voter.

>Total Votes = 100
>Number of Candidates = 10
>Approval Vote internal counts: A:(B..I):J = 99:99:100

I don't know that that line means, or what an internal count is.
I assume you're saying that 99 people voted for A, 99 people
voted for B through I, and that 100 people voted for J, meaning
that all the A voters voted for J, and the J voter voted only
for J.

Excellent! I love these examples where the foolish voting is
particularly extreme. That line that I didn't understand seems
to be saying that J got 100 votes. There are 100 voters. Everyone
voted for J. That means that all the A voters voted for J, their
last choice. And if B through I all got 99 votes too, then the
A voters voted for everyone. In Approval, no one has reason to
vote for their last choice, and one always has reason not to.
Likewise, obviously if you vote for everyone, the effect is the
same as if you didn't vote. That's always contary to your
interest if you have any preferences among the candidates, as
your A voters do.

>Approval Vote winner: J
>Candidate A has 99% of the first preference votes and loses
>Candidate J has 1% of the first preference votes and wins

Mike Ossipoff