[EM] Tideman and GMC

Markus Schulze schulze at sol.physik.tu-berlin.de
Wed May 17 13:07:48 PDT 2000

Dear participants,

the main difference between Steve's IBCM method and my
Schulze method becomes clear when Mike's DCD heuristic
for the IBCM method and my "iterative Schwartz" heuristic
for the Schulze method are used.

DCD:

   Step1: Start with the weakest pairwise defeat.

   Step2: If the current pairwise defeat is in a directed
   cycle then this pairwise defeat is dropped. Go to the
   next weakest pairwise defeat.

   Step3: Repeat Step2 until there are no directed
   pairwise cycles any more. If there is more than one
   undominated candidate then this method is re-applied
   to these undominated candidates.

Iterative Schwartz:

   Step1: Start with the weakest pairwise defeat.

   Step2: If the current pairwise defeat is in a directed
   cycle then this pairwise defeat is dropped. Go to the
   next weakest pairwise defeat.

   Step3: Repeat Step2 until there is a Schwartz winner.

The iterative Schwartz heuristic has also been called
"beat path Schwartz." Mike has proposed a very similar
heuristic and called it "Sequential Dropping." Also Blake
has proposed a very similar heuristic and called it
"Goldfish." The fact that these heuristics have been
proposed by different people demonstrates that these
people have understood not only the _definition_ of the
Schulze method but also the _idea_ behind this method.
This demonstrates that the Schulze method is very
intuitive compared to the IBCM method.

******

Example:

   26 voters vote C > A > B > D.
   20 voters vote B > D > A > C.
   18 voters vote A > D > C > B.
   14 voters vote C > B > A > D.
   08 voters vote B > D > C > A.
   07 voters vote D > A > C > B.
   07 voters vote B > D > A = C.

   Then the matrix of pairwise defeats looks as follows: