[EM] miswording in claim #2

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Tue May 9 18:01:04 PDT 2000

EM list--

In the 2nd claim that I made about Approval in my previous
message, I misworded the voting assumption. I should have said:

If a group of people share the same preferences and vote in the
same way, and if they vote to maximize their expectation, and
if the p(i,j) are related in the way that ensures that
if a voter betters his expectation by voting for X then he
also betters it by voting for all those whom he likes better than
X, then that group of people will never worsen the outcome for
themselves by showing up to vote.

***

Sure, that's obvious: If, when voting for X, you always vote
for those whom you like better than X, then of course you'll
never worsen your outcome, compared to what it would be if you
didn't vote. Obvious, but true, and worth mentioning, when you
spoke of the possibility of regretted participation in Approval.

Mike Ossipoff