More 0-info pairwise strategy

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Sat Mar 25 17:29:26 PST 2000

>D- If everybody truncates, then the result is obviously plurality.

Mr. Ossipoff- Then don't truncate unless you want to. It wouldn't be like
Plurality
unless everyone truncated to the extent of only listing one choice.

If everyone wanted to do that for some reason, that's their choice.
The method doesn't strategically require them to. There's no need
to force people to rank more candidates than they want to.
----
D- Back to real politics land- there will be polls.

Any candidate with circa 30 plus percent of the votes in a poll will play the
plurality politics game and try to get his/her devious voters not to make
additional choices.

The voters with candidates getting less than such circa 30 percent in a poll
will obviously think- our/my first choice has NO chance of winning, we/I know
about such devious candidate and his/her voters and therefore we/I must also
play the plurality game and vote for the lesser of the plurality evils.

Real politics result- The Minnesota governor election in 1998. Ventura circa
37 percent, Dem- circa 32 percent, Repub- circa 31 percent (or vice versa ?).

How much loss of freedom is there if a voter is required to rank perhaps at
least 3 choices and vote YES/NO on each choice (default is NO) (to lessen the
polls/plurality strategy game) ??

Since I am calling for a YES majority vote before the head to head results
are even looked at, I am not sure if any of the 3 MN candidates would have
been elected (default- the legislature fills the office).  Having a YES
majority requirement will probably force additional choices to be made among
those devious plurality candidates and their devious supporters.