Pairwise Vote Terminology (was Re: "Votes over")

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 20 23:35:08 PST 2000

>I kind of like:
>
>- Votes-Over (vo) in place of Winning-Votes
>- Weakest-Quorum (wq) in place of All-Votes (might be stretching the
>meaning of 'quorum', but at least this is more specific)
>
>I assume neither votes-under nor strongest-quorum would be useful
>concepts.  If necessary to make a further distinction:
>
>- Strongest-Votes-Over (svo) for a system that immediately picks the top
>pairing, and
>- Weakest-Votes-Over (wvo) for one that progressively eliminates the
>weakest pairing.
>
>You could probably use Strongest-Margin and Weakest-Margin in the same
>way.
>
>Do any of these correspond to previously-used terms (such as VA), or to
>particular methods or classes of methods?

Yes, svo & wvo correspond to top-down & bottom-up, with the
understanding that the pair-defeat dropped is the weakest
defeat that's eligible for dropping, with wvo, or the strongest
defeat that's eligible for dropping, with svo.

vo, the substitute for wv, also means the same as the old va term.

Mike Ossipoff