[EM] extending Myerson's test--more policy positions

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Fri Mar 17 19:19:01 PST 2000

David Catchpole wrote:
> Yeeargh! There are three major types of average- Mean, median and
> mode. [...]

Sorry, I always take "average" to mean "mean".  I didn't expect that to
be ambiguous.

[...]
> > > The optimal strategy when no strategy info is available, for a Condorcet
> > > completion system, is sincere expression of preferences... Anyone dare to
> > > argue? Huh? I would feel that any additional strategy brought about by
> > > extra information would depend on the completion.
> >
> > Suppose you are a member of group A below, with vNM utilities as shown
> > in parentheses:
> >
> > votes
> > ??        A(1.0)  B(0.1)  C(0.0)
> > ??        B(1.0)  A, C(??)
> > ??        C(1.0)  A, B(??)
> >
> > If no information is available, you can proceed as though all groups are
> > equal in size.  Thus in a head-to-head matchup between A and C, you give
> > A a 50% chance of winning, so the utility of that matchup (ignoring B)
> > is 0.5.
>
> No you don't! No you don't! (Sorry) This is not a system where an A voter
> has no information about other voters. She knows there are two other
> groups of roughly equal size to her own. This is somewhat similar to the

What gives you the idea that the three groups above are roughly equal?
I don't think I'm doing anything that makes an assumption about the
group sizes.  I probably shouldn't have said "as though all groups are
equal in size", although the statement is technically correct.  I didn't
say they "were equal".

If no information is available about the AC pairing, the only reasonable
assumption is that the probability of A>C is 0.5.  I'm not making any
assumption at all about probabilities for A>B or B>C, since they don't
matter here.

This doesn't sound like a prisoners' dilemma, since the voter's decision
doesn't depend on the other groups' actions.  The C voters (and
remaining A voters) either support B or they don't -- if they do so in
sufficient numbers and/or the B group is large enough, B wins anyway.
If not, our voter has a chance of stopping B.  In neither case is she
punished by failing to rank B.  The only requirement is that this not
affect the outcome of the AC contest.

Of course I'm talking about truncation here, and not order-reversal.
Also I don't think we can be talking about the same strategy if you are
not using utilities.