[EM] N/P Scales

David Catchpole s349436 at student.uq.edu.au
Sat Mar 4 20:16:24 PST 2000

That is such a faulty version of utility I don't know why I'm
responding! Sorry, no offence really intended, but where's the point and
reason in "zero means neutral (do not care)"? Care about what? The common
utility formalism attaches a comparative value (utility) to each outcome,
according to which an actor acts rationally to optimise her mean
utility- mean utility, because when an outcome of an actor's behaviour is
not certain, the utility of that behaviour is considered to be the
probabilistically weighted mean of outcomes from that behaviour. However,
the funky probabilistic thing isn't considered much because it tends to
occur where the process has an explicit random element (like a
lottery/stochastic election system) or in certain types of "prisoner's
dilemma" games, where actors possess mutual information about their
utilities.

Utility is scale-insensitive in that any positive linear transformation on
a set of utilities will be considered exactly the same way as that set of
utilities. Hence Von Neumann / Morgenstern normalisation of utilities
(0-1).

Disinterest in action is considered to be driven not by the scale
of a utility (otherwise the paragraph above would be untrue) but by
disincentives- erosion of utility by, for instance, the difficulty of
walking to a voting booth, etc.

A voter is considered "disinterested" between outcomes only when she
applies the very same utility to both of them.