[EM] Response from _The Economist_ article author

Rob Lanphier robla at eskimo.com
Thu Mar 9 09:33:08 PST 2000

Mail from the author of the article:
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 11:37:11 +0000
From: Tom Standage <TomStandage at economist.com>
To: robla at eskimo.com
Subject: The Borda count

Thanks for your email about my article on the Borda count. I had a feeling
it would result in apoplexy somewhere or another -- so thank you for
pointing out the extent and nature of the debate. I find Dr Saari's
questioning of Arrow's theorem quite convincing. But evidently there are
problems with the Borda count, as many readers have pointed out.

You objected to the phrase that the Borda count was the "only system that
fits the bill". My intention was to convey that it is "the only system" in
the limited sense of conforming to Dr Saari's requirements, ie not
violating his precious symmetries. It is, in other words, the fairest
according to his criteria. My apologies if this was not clear.

If I decide to return to this subject (perhaps to look at the debate more
closely) my first stop will be your discussion list.

Thanks,

Tom.

Tom Standage
Science & Technology Correspondent