Differences of sincerity definitions

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Sun Dec 3 22:22:43 PST 2000

LAYTON Craig wrote:

> Sorry in my rather hasty example, there are supposed to be 5 candidates,
> with the voters preferences being:
>
> A=B>C=D>E
>
> My question being, how can you (in a relatively simple fashion) allow a
> voter to vote like this?  What kind of instructions could you use, how would
> you structure the ballot paper, what would determine a valid vote?

I assume you're asking specifically about IRV.  One approach which was
kicked around a few years ago in this list (some of the members
apparently tried to interest CVD in it as a way to mitigate some of
IRV's problems) was to simply count the votes as you would with approval
voting; in other words each surviving top-choice vote counts as a full
vote.  The voter would rank your example above as