Differences of sincerity definitions

LAYTON Craig Craig.LAYTON at add.nsw.gov.au
Sun Dec 3 20:23:09 PST 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: DEMOREP1 at aol.com [mailto:DEMOREP1 at aol.com]
Sent: Monday, 4 December 2000 15:10
To: election-methods-list at eskimo.com
Subject: RE: Differences of sincerity definitions

>I was assuming that all rank-balloting systems do not allow equal ranking
>
>(except for the truncating of votes so that all the unnumbered candidates
>
>are equal).  How would you allow equal rankings? Would it be; 1,1,3,3,5 or
>
>1,1,2,2,3 or something else?  That could prove a little too complicated.
>---
>D-
>
>Desired > Compromise ( known or possibly unknown ) > Unacceptable ( known
or
>possibly unknown )
>
>How many choices within each of the 3 (5) groups are equal (i.e. mixing
>Number Voting and partial Approval Voting) ???

Sorry in my rather hasty example, there are supposed to be 5 candidates,
with the voters preferences being:

A=B>C=D>E

My question being, how can you (in a relatively simple fashion) allow a
voter to vote like this?  What kind of instructions could you use, how would
you structure the ballot paper, what would determine a valid vote?