[EM] This list

Rob Lanphier robla at eskimo.com
Wed Apr 5 23:54:08 PDT 2000

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Craig Carey wrote:
> I have this new mailing list on preferential voting, now online,
>   at:
>
> http://www.onelist.com/group/politicians-and-polytopes
>
> It may have few outgoing messages per week.

*sigh*  It looks like the Judean People's Front has split off from the
People's Front of Judea.

Seriously though, I wish you luck in this endeavor.  I don't think I ever
envisioned this list being the sole list that discusses election methods,
and a list with lower traffic might appeal to those that have left this
list in the past.  However, complementing this list doesn't quite sound
like what you have in mind....

> It probably will be a competing list to this, and it will last
>   for a very long time. Hopefully it will see this new method,
>   and what could be the child's problem of fixing up the
>   Alternative Vote, doubtless too late for the UK, but other
>   nations will look before limping towards a despondent patchwork
>   of regrets...
>
> I am probably really am quitting this mailing list of Robla.

That would be a shame, but do what you gotta do.   I've been very hesitant
to moderate EM because I haven't felt qualified to do so, and I doubt that
it's well advised to do so.

I hope that people appreciate that, even though the traffic on EM gets
pretty thick at times, the diversity of opinion here is a strength ("if I
can make it there, I'll make it anywhere").  What's more, this list is a
great place to learn about mail filtering :)

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and
fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to
be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."

- US Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis

Rob Lanphier
robla at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~robla