[EM] Re: Some are missing the point of the ballot `cockup'

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Wed Oct 13 15:53:47 PDT 1999

Mr. Schulze noted-

I believe that it happens very frequently that a poll station uses wrong
ballots (i.e.: ballots that have been printed for a different constituency).
--
D-  My state government has a detailed election manual/checklist for poll
workers to follow on election day.

  Included in such manual is a requirement that the poll workers on election
day are to check to see if the paper/ punchcard/ electronic ballots are
correct for their precinct.

The wrong ballot problem can easily occur in the U.S. due to the various
overlapping congresional, state, county, city, etc. legislative body
gerrymander districts (producing multiple ballot "forms" - the subareas with
the same ballots- especially in urban areas -- yet another reason to have
larger/fewer multi-member PR districts.