[EM] 3 Choices

David Catchpole s349436 at student.uq.edu.au
Tue Oct 12 15:53:40 PDT 1999

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Craig Carey wrote:

> The Droop Quota...
>
>       "[the] Droop Threshold is the number of ballots divided by
>        (the number of seats plus 1), then adding 1"

While this is the usual definition of Droop quota in most legislation, I
prefer to think along the lines of Droop simply meaning "votes greater
than the number of ballots divided by (the number of seats plus 1) mean a
win for the candidate."

> [There may be errors in this message's derivations.]
> I read Mr Catchpole's last reply to me: something about (P1) going
>  failing, or something(?)]

Not so much failing as failing to give specific answers. I'm trying to
build up the formalism at the moment (going to be a while) but I see that
except in specific cases (P1) admits basically any candidate winning.