[EM] Re: Need for proportional representation

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Mon Oct 4 14:55:58 PDT 1999

Mr. Schulze wrote-

Consider the following example: Member A has 45 votes, member B has 40
votes, and member C has 15 votes. Don't you think that the voters of A and B
rather want their votes to be transferred (so that they can influence who is
the third member of this committee) than to increase the nominal voting
power without increasing the real voting power of A resp. B?
------
D- I have no idea what the voters for A and B think.   I do know that EVERY
voter wants his/her vote to count in a legislative body.  Thus, to generalize
-
EVERY legislator will be part of the majority or a part of the minority in
voting on any issue.

In case folks have not seen my proposed Model Constitution, I suggest that
there be at least 2 districts with 5 members each in cities (that should be
the only political subdivisions of a state) and that there be at least 10
districts with 5 members each for the state legislative body with only 1 year
terms for all legislative bodies.  So--- the nominal/ real voting power is
somewhat not relevant.

I note again that in ALL indirect systems in which a legislator has 1 vote
that the votes/seats ratios will almost never be equal for the different
parties. (My response to the Banzhaf Paradox).

The direct system is, of course, direct Democracy suggested by Donald.
However, pending some major education regarding direct Democracy (and its
well known historical problems with loudmouth demagogues), I suggest using
proxy p.r. as a more accurate p.r. method (possibly with an option for voters
who have the time and energy to keep up with bills in legislative bodies to
directly vote- with obvious safeguards against multiple voting and
identifying who is voting since the voter then becomes a legislator).   If TV
game shows (like the Price is Right) can add numbers, then surely legislative
bodies can do the same.