[EM] David Catchpole's Droop Quota [???]

Donald E Davison donald at mich.com
Tue Oct 26 20:55:18 PDT 1999

Greetings,

David Catchpole wrote: "The equal portions of total votes is Droop quota."

Dear David Catchpole,

     Your remark makes me wonder if we have the same or different math for
the Droop Quota. The Droop that I know will add one in the divisor to `n',
the number of seats, and then add one to the results.

     Droop Quota = (total votes)/(n+1) + 1

     Is this the Droop you are talking about?
     If so, then I must inform you that this does not divide total votes
into `n' equal parts.
     But, Hare will divide total votes into `n' equal parts.

     I raise the question of maybe different math because about two years
ago, I was engaged in a debate on Droop with another fine person from
Australia,  Alan Grieve <algri1 at rainbow.net.au>, who was supporting the
Droop Quota. The debate ended when it became clear that his understanding
of Hare and Droop had reverse mathematics.
     I pointed this out to him, but he would not believe me until I cited
references that gave the correct math for both Hare and Droop.
     Then an interesting thing happened, he did not change his support of
the name Droop, he changed his support of the mathematics. He continued to
support Droop, but now he supported it with different math, the correct
math for Droop. This was strange to me at the time, but now I understand,
people will support things without really knowing what they are supporting.

     Is David Catchpole another good Australian who supports the Droop
Quota because, that is the `right and proper thing' for a good Australian
to do??
     Something like: "My Country, Right or Wrong - My Country's Droop
Quota, Right or Wrong".

***

Note: Thank you for sending info on your STV/MMP hybrid. That does deserve
its own post. I will get back to you about your hybrid.

Donald,

   +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
   |                         Q U O T A T I O N                         |
   |  "Democracy is a beautiful thing,                                 |
   |       except that part about letting just any old yokel vote."    |
   |                            - Age 10                               |
   +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

                            N E W S L E T T E R

                    Worldwide Direct Democracy Newsletter
                     Four Issues per Year by Postal Mail
             Cost per year: Czech Republic 200 Kc,  Europe 12 DM
                          Outside of Europe  $10

              Make check payable to: Mr. Bohuslav Binka
              Mail to:  Mr. Bohuslav Binka
                        Bellova 15
                        Brno 623 00
                        Czech Republic
                         N E W    D E M O C R A C Y
              A Source of Study Material for Political Change

                        http://www.mich.com/~donald